Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Storytelling Week 9 Drona and Arjuna



Drona was an incredible man who was extremely impressive for his time.  He had military skills that were absolutely breath-taking.  He was the best of the best when it came to gurus.  Only the luckiest families would be able to send their sons to him for extensive training.  Drona was the royal guru for the Kauravas and the Pandavas.  His own son Ashwatthaman, was also trained by him.  The boys were very lucky to have this extensive training.  All of the boys were very competitive with each other.  They each wanted to be the top of the class.  This would prove them to be a great warrior.  Many of them thought Ashwatthaman would be the best, but this was not always the case.  One of the boy's tests was to shoot an artificial bird.  The boys tried their very best but only one had the right focus.  Arjuna came out on top above all the other students.  He was gleaming from pride.  Drona was very proud of him and became his new favorite student, even over his son  Little did Drona know, very soon Arjuna would earn and even higher place in his heart.

About a week later, Drona fell into a river.  He started swimming around in panic.  He was not the strongest swimmer because his mighty skills were outside the water.  He almost made it out, but then a crocodile grabbed his foot.  Arjuna, being the studious pupil that he was, showed up early for class.  He noticed something was not right.  Drona was no where in sight.  Then, out of the corner of his eye, he saw Drona struggling in the water.  Arjuna notices a crocodile was biting one of Drona's leg.  Arjuna takes a branch off a tree, and starts beating the crocodile with it.  He was not going to let his guru die like this.  He continues beating the crocodile, and finally the animal lets go of Drona's foot.  The crocodile swims away, and he pulls Drona out of the water.  They get his leg cleaned up before any of the other students show up for class.  Drona was very thankful for his brave pupil. He would have not even been alive if it was not for him.  Arjuna would always hold a special place in his heart.  Drona knows he needs to reward his student with something magnificent.  He decides to reward him by giving him a secret weapon. 
Drona, a father, a teacher. Source:Ritsin.


Author's Note:
I chose this story from Reading A week 9.  I found the character Drona to be very interesting.  I based my story off of Narayan's, but added more details.  I made Drona and Arjuna out to be very heroic men.  I put a stress on both characters specifically because I thought they were the most important.    

Bibliography:
Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata.

5 comments:

  1. Great job with this story Brittney. I really like both of the characters and the way you portrayed them. This is a story I also enjoyed when I originally read it but I really like the version you came up with. It's interesting how Arjuna wins over his teacher and even overtakes the position of his own son. Overall you did a great job as always. Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Britney. As usual, you did a great job of retelling this story. I really liked how you included background information to lead into the story of how Arjuna saved Drona from the crocodile. The way that you chose to have Arjuna fight off the crocodile was an interesting twist on the story. If I remember correctly, Arjuna shot arrows at the crocodile in the original story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britney, I really enjoyed the details you added to this story. The way Narayan describes it is not as sufficient as the way you did. I liked your descriptions of the crocodile as well. The way you emphasized the roles of both Drona and Arjuna was terrific because I felt as though they needed to be described more due to their importance to this story. The picture you chose is nice for your story as well. This is one of the better images pertaining to this moment. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britney, this was a great story! I am glad you chose this story because I personally adore both the characters from the epic. I think they are really important as well and I am glad you highlighted on them both! I loved the picture you chose because it brings out the details you mention and talk about through your story. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you chose this story to resell because I skimmed through this part and it was not as memorable as you make it to be. I think your character descriptions were great and set up the main part of the story really well. I think that you managed to resell the story really well so great job!!

    ReplyDelete