Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Storytelling Week 10 Revenge


Dhrishtadyumna is not happy about Drona humiliating his father.  He feels so many different emotions for his father's sake.  He is upset, angry, and embarrassed.  Dhrishtadyumna lived to protect his family members physically and emotionally.  Even though one cannot tell by looking at him, he even has a soft side.  He will do anything and everything to protect the reputation of someone he loves.  Sometimes, Dhrishtadyumna just does not know how to handle his emotions in a mature matter.  He tends to have a tiny bit of anger problem which happens to be a reoccuring issue.  His friends tell him to get help but he always denies it.  With that noted, he hates Drona with every fiber in his body.  He knows revenge will be the only way to satisfy his pain. Dhrishtadyumna tries to think of the one thing that is most important to Drona.  He wants to involve the most important thing like Drona involved his father.  He will not give up until Drona pays for his mistakes.  Dhrishtadyumna then asked many people for advice for how he could handle this situation.  He had all of his family and friends give their opinion.  Dhrishtadyumna knew that he would only be happy if Drona was put to death.  His friends try to talk him out of this harsh punishment but once again he does not listen. He keeps in mind that Drona is a very skilled guru and would be hard to beat in a battle.  Dhrishtadyumna knows he needs to come up with a way to make him weak.  Krishna finally gives Dhrishtadyumna the idea to pretend Drona's son is dead. 

The next day, Dhrishtadyumna and his friends capture Drona and challenge him to a battle.  Drona was not wanting to have this battle but knew he would be able to defeat Dhrishtadyumna.  Out of nowhere, a distant voice called out to Drona and informed him that his son was now dead.  Drona felt paralyzed from this and fell to his knees.  He was so hurt that his precious son was no longer here.  Then, Dhrishtadyumna creeped up behind him when he was down and chopped off his head.  He even decided to take the head with him and hang it from his fireplace so that he could look at his accomplishment daily.  Dhrishtadyumna was finally content and relieved.    


Guru Drona. Source: Wikipedia
Author's Note:
I chose this story because I did not feel like the book went in depth enough about Dhrishtadyumn's feelings.  I figured if he was upset enough to kill Drona then there were clearly some intense feelings that needed to be told.  I also added a little bit of humor by making Dhrishtadyumn have an anger problem and taking the chopped head with him.      

Bibliography:  
Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata.













      

4 comments:

  1. I like that you chose this for your retelling, but I don’t like how you wrote it. I think the story would have been better had it been taking place during the battle against Drona, and also if it were in first person. Third person was too distant for a story about feelings. Also there was a lot of flip-flopping between tenses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Britney I also agree that the story does not go very in depth into Dhrishtadyumn's feelings. I think you did a good job of making your own version of the story and providing details that make it your own! I also think you picked a great picture for your storytelling post this week! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Britney, I really like the story you have chosen to retell for your storytelling post. I agree that the book did not tell the story with a lot of description and detail, which is something you do well. Your story was great and I really enjoyed how you showed the intense feelings of anger and frustration between the characters. I liked the humorous effects you added to the story with the decapitation. Kind of sad that we think that is funny… but either way, great job! I really like the photo you chose. It definitely helps imagine the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britney,
    I already commented on your introduction so I figured I'd just comment on your storytelling from last week!
    I think you did a good job characterizing Dhrishtadyumn in your retelling. I was a little confused reading through it because the tenses seemed to switch around some, but I do see what you were trying to do.
    I agree that the book did not go very in-depth with his feelings so I'm glad you did, it made it more interesting to read because you can totally come up with how he's feeling in that moment.
    I also like how you added humor.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete